Aisling is an experienced commercial lawyer who specialises in commercial contracting, procurement processes and providing general commercial legal advice to private and public sector clients. She studied at Victoria University of Wellington, and was admitted to the bar in December 2003.
Aisling started legal practice at Buddle Findlay where she was introduced to a range of commercial work such as drafting and reviewing various types of contracts, and providing corporate, company and intellectual property advice. She then moved to take up the role of Legal Counsel at Fisher & Paykel Healthcare, where she put her blend of commercial expertise to good use drafting and negotiating IP licences, goods and services supply agreements, research and development agreements and funding agreements. A large part of this role was the provision of legal advice to staff in the company’s offices around the world. Aisling credits her time at Fisher & Paykel Healthcare with honing her ability to provide clear, pragmatic legal advice to people from a range of different professional backgrounds and cultures.
From there, Aisling moved to the very different world of Auckland City Council, where she was part of the legal services team that provided assistance and advice on the Council’s procurement activities, management of community facilities, and arts and cultural initiatives. In this role, Aisling developed expertise working in a highly regulated environment, with the need to always be mindful of the organisation’s statutory mandate and constraints when formulating strategies and entering agreements to achieve its commercial imperatives. A highlight of her time at Auckland City Council was being the lead legal advisor to the team responsible for synthesising and streamlining the procurement and purchasing activities of all 8 local bodies in the lead-up to the Super City amalgamation.
Aisling then re-joined Buddle Findlay’s corporate services team as a senior associate. There, she re-established her corporate advisory practice by providing advice to various stock-exchange listed companies, and extended her expertise in public sector contracting by assisting with the development of a suite of commercial contracts and procurement process documents to be used by the new Auckland Council, advising on processes and preparing contracts for use at the Auckland Zoo, the redeveloped Auckland Art Gallery and newly constructed Viaduct Events Centre. She also assisted a wide range of private and public sector clients with their day to day commercial issues and one-off transactions.
Aisling joined the team at Claro in early 2014.
“The thing I enjoy most about my role is translating my client’s aims and objectives for an arrangement into a clear, user-friendly contract. The highest praise you can get as a lawyer is that you have brought clarity to a previously murky or confusing situation”.
Aisling’s experience includes
- Development of a suite of commercial contracting templates and matching procurement process documents for a major public sector organisation.
- Advising on the Government Rules of Sourcing.
- Admission agreements for rest home operators.
- Drafting and negotiating an outsourcing agreement between a New Zealand regulatory authority and a Canadian provider, with ancillary advice relating to the New Zealand authority’s statutory obligations.
- Advice relating to, and negotiation of, implementation, licence and support agreements relating to a software system for managing and storing of oral health records for a DHB.
- Funding and collaborative agreements between DHBs and charitable organisations.
- Preparation of primary care agreements.
- Clinical research agreements and advice relating to structures for the funding and undertaking of clinical research.
- Intellectual property advice in relation to the licensing of trade marks, copyright and associated assets, and the ownership of intellectual property resulting from clinical and other research.
Mobile: 021 223 2701if(!empty($akl)): ?>
DDI Auckland: 09 551 0459endif ?> if(!empty($wgtn)): ?>
DDI Wellington:endif ?> if(!empty($chch)): ?>
DDI Christchurch:endif ?>