Sonya is a senior commercial and intellectual property lawyer and has worked for leading law firms in New Zealand and the United Kingdom. Prior to joining Claro, she worked as a Senior Associate at Simpson Grierson, and in law firms and in-house roles both in New Zealand and internationally.
Sonya advises on a wide range of commercial and intellectual property related issues, with a focus on the health sector.
Her commercial intellectual property experience includes drafting and negotiating various commercial agreements in relation to licensing, technology supply, research and development, service provision and confidentiality/non-disclosure. Her experience also covers drafting franchise agreements, and advising on both contentious and non-contentious aspects of intellectual property law. She has advised on a wide range of intellectual property related issues including the protection, exploitation and enforcement of intellectual property. Sonya has a particular interest in the commercialisation of all types of intellectual property within the health sector.
Sonya advises on a wide range of commercial health sector issues for both public and private health sector entities. She has drafted and negotiated numerous commercial contracts, including services agreements, regulatory assessor agreements, clinical trial agreements and admission agreements. She also advises on RFP documents and procurement processes and all aspects of the Age Related Residential Care Services Agreement.
Sonya also has an interest in governance issues for a range of legal entities. She has advised on various governance issues for health regulatory authorities, incorporated societies providing health services, professional Colleges, health providers, companies and other business entities within the sector.
Sonya is a member of the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ) and a committee member of the Canterbury Elder Law Special Interest Group.
Of working at Claro, Sonya says: “Working as a lawyer in the health sector is very rewarding. There is a huge range and diversity of legal issues that arise in the commercial context. I enjoy the complexity and challenge associated with obtaining the best outcome for my clients, as well as the very human aspect of this area of the law.”
Sonya’s experience includes:
- Reviewing and advising on RFP documents and procurement process relating to cleaning services, and drafting, negotiating and finalising the resulting cleaning service agreement.
- Drafting, negotiating and finalising agreements to transition the provision of diagnostic laboratory testing services from two current suppliers to a new supplier as a result of a procurement process.
- Drafting and negotiating a bespoke collaborative services agreement for the provision of midwifery services for a DHB and advising on related statutory obligations (including the Crown funding agreement and Ministry of Health Operational Policy Framework).
- Drafting and advising on accreditation and re-accreditation services agreements and related statutory obligations for a regulatory authority.
- Drafting and advising on Clinical Trial Agreements and structures for undertaking clinical research.
- Drafting and negotiating various Service Agreements for regulatory bodies, professional registration authorities, crown entities and private businesses.
- Drafting and advising on Primary Care, Standard of Care and Maternity Service Agreements for various statutory organisations (DHBs).
- Advising on obligations under the Age Related Residential Care Services Agreement (ARRC) and negotiating on behalf of service providers, drafting Admission Agreements for service providers.
- Advising on the process for dissolving a Partnership JV and drafting all related agreements and governance documentation.
- Advising on governance and policy issues for crown entities, incorporated societies, professional registration authorities and regulatory bodies.
- Advising on various contractual disputes and issues relating to the interpretation of commercial contracts for healthcare providers, regulatory bodies and professional registration authorities.
- Drafting and negotiating IP licence and sub-licence agreements, IP assignments, franchise agreements and advertising agreements.
- Advising on trade mark portfolio structuring and protection including registration, infringement, oppositions and brand management. Advising on advertising content, domain name registration and website content.
- Intellectual Property advice in relation to the ownership, protection and commercialisation of all types of intellectual property in the health sector for private businesses, statutory organisations, public healthcare providers and crown entities.
Mobile: 021 0249 4607if(!empty($akl)): ?>
DDI Auckland:endif ?> if(!empty($wgtn)): ?>
DDI Wellington:endif ?> if(!empty($chch)): ?>
DDI Christchurch: 03 372 1090endif ?>