Sonya is a senior commercial and intellectual property lawyer and has worked for leading law firms in New Zealand and the United Kingdom. Prior to joining Claro, she worked as a Senior Associate at Simpson Grierson, and in law firms and in-house roles both in New Zealand and internationally.
Sonya advises on a wide range of commercial and intellectual property related issues, with a focus on the health sector.
Her commercial experience includes drafting and negotiating various commercial agreements in relation to licensing, technology supply, research and development, service provision, confidentiality/non-disclosure, and clinical trials. Her experience also covers drafting franchise agreements, and advising on both contentious and non-contentious aspects of intellectual property law. She has advised on a wide range of intellectual property related issues including the protection, exploitation and enforcement of intellectual property. Sonya has a particular interest in the commercialisation of all types of intellectual property within the health sector.
More recently Sonya has advised on a wide range of commercial health sector issues, including representing clients in respect of Age Related Residential Care Services Agreement variation negotiations and advising on Admission Agreements in the aged care sector. She has also drafted and negotiated various services agreements between DHBs and Health Services providers and regulatory assessor agreements.
Sonya also has an interest in governance issues for a range of legal entities. She has advised on various governance issues for health regulatory authorities, incorporated societies providing health services, professional Colleges, health providers, companies and other business entities within the sector.
Of working at Claro, Sonya says: “Working as a lawyer in the health sector is very rewarding. There is a huge range and diversity of legal issues that arise in the commercial context. I enjoy the complexity and challenge associated with obtaining the best outcome for my clients, as well as the very human aspect of this area of the law.”
Sonya’s experience includes:
- Preparation, update and amendment of Admission Agreements for aged care service providers and advising on ARRC related issues.
- Drafting and advising on Clinical Trial Agreements and structures for undertaking clinical research.
- Drafting and negotiating various Service Agreements for regulatory bodies, professional registration authorities, crown entities and private businesses.
- Drafting and advising on Primary Care, Standard of Care and Maternity Service Agreements for various statutory organisations (DHBs).
- Advising on governance and policy issues for crown entities, incorporated societies, professional registration authorities and regulatory bodies.
- Advising on Partnership and Shareholder Agreements and related business structures for private healthcare providers.
- Advising on various contractual disputes and issues relating to the interpretation of commercial contracts for healthcare providers, regulatory bodies and professional registration authorities.
- Intellectual Property advice in relation to the ownership, protection and commercialisation of all types of intellectual property in the health sector for private businesses, statutory organisations, public healthcare providers and crown entities.
Mobile: 021 0249 4607if(!empty($akl)): ?>
DDI Auckland:endif ?> if(!empty($wgtn)): ?>
DDI Wellington:endif ?> if(!empty($chch)): ?>
DDI Christchurch: 03 372 1090endif ?>